Aurakatu 26, 20100 Turku, Finland

Art Museum on the map

The National Romantic granite building of the Turku Art Museum is a monument in itself. The museum was designed by Professor Gustaf Nyström and, when it was completed in 1904, it was the second building in Finland to have been designed specifically as a museum. Funds for the construction of the museum were donated to the town of Turku by two tradesmen brothers from Turku, Ernst and Magnus Dahlström. The Turku Drawing School operated on the ground floor of the museum until the 1930s, and the beautiful galleries on the upper floor were reserved for displaying the collection of the Turku Art Society, which ran the museum.

The collection grew fast with new contemporary artworks, which in time would become masterpieces of the Golden Age of Finnish art and national treasures. Currently the museum's collection comprises almost 7,000 works of art. The collection of the Turku Art Museum is particularly famous for its old Finnish art, Surrealism and Pop Art.

The museum manages one of Finland's most comprehensive art collections and hosts temporary exhibitions varying from old masters to the newest contemporary art.

Aurakatu 26, 20100 Turku, Finland
Tel. +358 (0)2 262 7100 Fax: +358 (0)2 262 7090

Follow us on social media @turkuartmuseum: